Friday, September 25, 2015

Not Enough Paycheck for the Good Life?

I have been so fortunate over the years to have so many wonderful jobs. I'm a quick learner, easily adapting to new environments and procedures, and one of my strengths is finding and delivering a solution to problems. I dropped out of college, just because I couldn't see a clear career based on my current studies, so I started in low paying administrative positions like receptionist and secretary. My bosses quickly saw my ability to solve problems, promoting me to office manager, bookkeeper and business manager. These jobs led to positions I loved in manufacturing and broadcasting as business manager and assistant comptroller.

After the birth of our second child, our daughter, we had a Parent-As-Educator visit our home to assess her development and give us parenting ideas. One of the things we were told is children whose parents have not graduated college are less likely to graduate college themselves, as compared to kids whose parents are college graduates. I will always do anything possible to help my kids succeed in life, so I returned to college to complete my degree. The quickest path to graduation was a degree in Management, with an emphasis in Human Resources.

About the time I graduated, we moved to Little Rock, where I decided to be a stay-at-home mom for a while, but my husband, Roger, pressured me to find work when he realized the UPS man was avoiding our house, because I wanted to talk a while every time he dropped something off. Since I had just graduated with a degree specializing in HR, I felt like I should try that. Roger warned me that I wouldn't like that after all my years as a top level manager, but I moved ahead working in HR in a couple great companies in Little Rock. I did not love it. It was a lot of menial work on a daily basis, with very little input to upper management - which I was really accustomed to, and with only occasional higher level responsibilities.

In 2005, Roger said, it's time for you to be your own boss, so you can travel with me when I leave on business, so he bought me a travel agency franchise. I quickly learned the travel business, and I promoted my agency everywhere I went, and I love what I do still today. But ... my earnings are still based on the number of hours I can personally work the business, or I need to hire staff.

As much as I love what I do, I need a residual income that keeps filling my bank account based on my efforts as well as others working with me. I need that to truly free my time ... so I can travel when I want  ... so I can play with my grandkids when I want ... so I can have a play day with my daughter, my mother, or my girlfriends when I want. And, an extra income will ease life's pressures, allowing us to live debt-free, be generous givers - not just tithers, but givers to great charities that we can only marginally support now, and providing for our needs as we near our retirement years. Seriously, I doubt we ever retire, but I simply want to choose when and where I work as I get older.

So, I'm still working the travel business I love, and I'll always have my hand in that, because I love travel. But, I'm also growing my network marketing business, because those earnings are not dependent on the number of hours I work daily. Once I've built the business, I'll still have to help others achieve their dreams, but I'll be able to work when and where I want.

I'm looking for people who can relate with my story in some way to be those dreamers working along side me in my business. If that's you, let's talk. There's lots of great network marketing companies out there, and there's one that's right for everyone who's interested. I'm looking for someone who'd love to work with me, because we're going to succeed! Dreamers, believers, visionaries, let's talk.

And, for those of you wondering, my son has graduated college, and my daughter isn't far behind. Love my kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment